Monday, October 14, 2013

Parable of the Prodigal Son

New King James Bible, St. Luke 15: 11-32

There was a man who had two sons; and the younger of them said to his father, “Father, give me the share of property that falls to me.” And he divided his living between them. Not many days later, the younger son gathered all he had and took his journey into a far country, and there he squandered his property in loose living. And when he had spent everything, a great famine arose in that country, and he began to be in want. So he went and joined himself to one of the citizens of that country, who sent him into his fields to feed swine. And he would gladly have fed on the pods that the swine ate; and no one gave him anything. But when he came to himself he said, “How many of my father’s hired servants have bread enough and to spare, but I perish here with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son; treat me as one of your hired servants.”

            And he arose and came to his father. But while he was yet at a distance, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. And the son said to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son.” But the father said to his servants; “Bring quickly the best robe and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet; and bring the fatted calf and make merry; for this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.” And they began to make merry.

            Now his elder son was in the field; and as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing. And he called one of the servants and asked what this meant. And he said to him, “Your brother has come, and your father has killed the fatted calf, because he has received him safe and sound.” But he was angry and refused to go in. His father came out and entreated him, but he answered his father, “Lo, these many years I have served you, and I never disobeyed your command, yet you never gave me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends. But when this one of yours came, who has devoured your living with harlots, you killed for him the fatted calf!” And he said to him, “Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. It was fitting to make merry and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found.”
 
Tyndale Version (1522-1536):
 
11 And he sayde: a certayne man had two sonnes 12 and the yonger of them sayde to his father: father geve me my parte of the goodes yt to me belongeth. And he devided vnto them his substaunce. 13 And not longe after ye yonger sonne gaddered all that he had to gedder and toke his iorney into a farre countre and theare he wasted his goodes with royetous lyvinge. 14 And when he had spent all that he had ther rose a greate derth thorow out all yt same londe and he began to lacke. 15 And he went and clave to a citesyn of yt same countre which sent him to his felde to kepe his swyne. 16 And he wold fayne have filled his bely with the coddes that ye swyne ate: and noo man gave him. 17 Then he came to him selfe and sayde: how many hyred servauntes at my fathers have breed ynough and I dye for honger. 18 I will aryse and goo to my father and will saye vnto him: father I have synned agaynst heven and before ye 19 and am no moare worthy to be called thy sonne make me as one of thy hyred servauntes.
 
            20 And he arose and went to his father. And when he was yet a greate waye of his father sawe him and had compassion and ran and fell on his necke and kyssed him. 21 And the sonne sayd vnto him: father I have synned agaynst heven and in thy sight and am no moare worthy to be called thy sonne. 22 But his father sayde to his servautes: bringe forth that best garment and put it on him and put a rynge on his honde and showes on his fete. 23 And bringe hidder that fatted caulfe and kyll him and let vs eate and be mery: 24 for this my sonne was deed and is alyve agayne he was loste and is now founde. And they began to be merye.
 
            25 The elder brother was in the felde and when he cam and drewe nye to ye housse he herde minstrelcy and daunsynge 26 and called one of his servauntes and axed what thoose thinges meate. 27 And he sayd vnto him: thy brother is come and thy father had kylled ye fatted caulfe because he hath receaved him safe and sounde. 28 And he was angry and wolde not goo in. Then came his father out and entreated him. 29 He answered and sayde to his father: Loo these many yeares have I done the service nether brake at eny tyme thy commaundment and yet gavest thou me never soo moche as a kyd to make mery wt my lovers: 30 but assone as this thy sonne was come which hath devoured thy goodes with harlootes thou haste for his pleasure kylled ye fatted caulfe. 31 And he sayd vnto him: Sonne thou wast ever with me and all that I have is thyne: 32 it was mete that we shuld make mery and be glad: for this thy brother was deed and is a lyve agayne: and was loste and is founde.
 
Wycliffe Version (1382-1395):

11 And he seide, A man hadde twei sones; 12 and the yonger of hem seide to the fadir, Fadir, yyue me the porcioun of catel, that fallith to me. And he departide to hem the catel. 13 And not aftir many daies, whanne alle thingis weren gederid togider, the yonger sone wente forth in pilgrymage in to a fer cuntre; and there he wastide hise goodis in lyuynge lecherously. 14 And aftir that he hadde endid alle thingis, a strong hungre was maad in that cuntre, and he bigan to haue nede. 15 And he wente, and drouy hym to oon of the citeseyns of that cuntre. And he sente hym in to his toun, to fede swyn. 16 And he coueitide to fille his wombe of the coddis that the hoggis eeten, and no man yaf hym. 17 And he turnede ayen to hym silf, and seide, Hou many hirid men in my fadir hous han plente of looues; and Y perische here thorouy hungir. 18 Y schal rise vp, and go to my fadir, and Y schal seie to hym, Fadir, Y haue synned in to heuene, and bifor thee; 19 and now Y am not worthi to be clepid thi sone, make me as oon of thin hirid men.

            20 And he roos vp, and cam to his fadir. And whanne he was yit afer, his fadir saiy hym, and was stirrid bi mercy. And he ran, and fel on his necke, and kisside hym. 21 And the sone seide to hym, Fadir, Y haue synned in to heuene, and bifor thee; and now Y am not worthi to be clepid thi sone. 22 And the fadir seide to hise seruauntis, Swithe brynge ye forth the firste stoole, and clothe ye hym, and yyue ye a ryng in his hoond, 23 and schoon on hise feet; and brynge ye a fat calf, and sle ye, and ete we, and make we feeste. 24 For this my sone was deed, and hath lyued ayen; he perischid, and is foundun. And alle men bigunnen to ete.

            25 But his eldere sone was in the feeld; and whanne he cam, and neiyede to the hous, he herde a symfonye and a croude. 26 And he clepide oon of the seruauntis, and axide, what these thingis weren. 27 And he seide to hym, Thi brother is comun, and thi fadir slewe a fat calf, for he resseyuede hym saaf. 28 And he was wrooth, and wolde not come in. Therfor his fadir wente out, and bigan to preye hym. 29 And he answerde to his fadir, and seide, Lo! so many yeeris Y serue thee, and Y neuer brak thi comaundement; and thou neuer yaf to me a kidde, that Y with my freendis schulde haue ete. 30 But aftir that this thi sone, that hath deuourid his substaunce with horis, cam, thou hast slayn to hym a fat calf. 31 And he seide to hym, Sone, thou art euer more with me, and alle my thingis ben thine. 32 But it bihofte for to make feeste, and to haue ioye; for this thi brother was deed, and lyuede ayen; he perischide, and is foundun.

No comments:

Post a Comment